Via ferrats in the Tirolean Oberland – sublime granite for pros and beginners
Nauders in Kaunertal is close to the Swiss and Italian border. There are many possibilities for climbing - also for beginners and families. There are several small climbing gardens with easy climbs and an alpine flair. The type of rock is granite. Oberland also offers a lot of potential for experienced climbers. You can go sport climbing and ice climbing, do multi pitches and via ferratas, visit a forest rope park and four family-friendly climbing gardens.
5 tips for via ferratas
The Tirolean Oberland is well known for its wide range of via ferratas. We recommend the following five via ferratas:
- Anton Renk – Fendels via ferrata: This via ferrata is only recommended for experts. It doesn’t have an emergency exit. The via ferrata faces north and is well secured. It is graded D/E. Due to its length and two overhangs, it is very challenging. The access hike starts in Fendels and takes about three hours by foot and only two hours if you take the lift.
- Edelweißsteig Nauders: The Edelweißsteig via ferrata in Nauders offers a beautiful panorama and is easy to climb by experienced and sure-footed mountain hikers. The numerous edelweiss meadows surrounding the hiking path are particularly beautiful. The snack-bar Parditschhof and Laubaunalm provide sustenance.
- Goldweg in Nauders: This is a classic via ferrata which leads to the Bergkastellspitze mountain peak at 2.912m. It’s graded D and offers beautiful climbing on granite, partly on the ridge. The view is worthwhile. It starts a one hour hike away from the mountain station Bergkastell.
- Tirolerweg in Nauders: The Tirolerweg via ferrata in Nauders offers beautiful climbing on primary rock. Its difficulty is D and it faces north. It requires a lot of concentration as the line is faintly marked. However, the view onto the Reschensee lake and the Ortler mountain - South Tirol’s highest mountain - is amazing. Be aware that the last cable car leaves at 5pm in the direction of the valley.
- „Holderli Seppl“ via ferrata – Kaunertal, Fernergries: This via ferrata is perfect for beginners and families with children. It is located In front of the imposing backdrop of the Fernergries mountain and graded as B/C. The access hike only takes ten minutes.