High alpine holiday experience in Paznaun
Not many holiday destinations are more beautiful than Paznaun! Roughly 80km to the West of Innsbruck, the scenery here is very diverse: you will find everything including rugged walls, lush alpine pastures, quiet mountain lakes and roaring waterfalls. The valley invites visitors to go mountain biking due to great single trails and bouldering, offering one of the best bouldering areas of the Alps. The villages Ischgl, Galtür, Kappl and See are characterised by the scenical diversity of the valley. The high alpine village Galtür is perfect for mountaineers, climbers and bikers who prefer a calm and peaceful environment. Kappl and See are known as very family-friendly holiday destinations. Those who prefer a holiday full of action and entertainment, should stay in Ischgl. You will surely experience a great and adventurous holiday!
6 tips for a holiday in Paznaun
- Bouldering and climbing in a high alpine environment: One of Austria’s best bouldering areas is located in Galtür, Tirol, on an altitude level of 2.000m. While it can get too hot to climb in many other Tirolean climbing areas, Galtür stays cool during the summer months. The scenery is magnificent and provides a great view over the whole valley. The bouldering area was established by Bernd Zangerl and has Tirol’s hardest boulder Anam Cara, 8C. Meanwhile, there are more than 160 boulders in all difficulties. There is also Tirol’s first family-friendly bouldering area. Around the Jamtaler Hut and the Heidelberger Hut are several via ferratas - also for families, a bouldering gym in Galtür and two climbing gardens. The Oberland is indeed a true paradise for alpinists, climbing freaks and those who still want to become one.
- Feasting in a high alpine environment: The culinary Way of St. James in Paznaun combines pleasure and hiking. Every year in July, star celebrity chefs hike up to five selected huts with vacationers where they cook extraordinary dishes. These dishes stay on the menus until the end of September.
- Alpinarium: The Alpinarum Galtür in Tirol is the cultural center of Paznaun. Its architecture ceases to amaze its visitors: The building is part of an avalanche protection wall which was built in 1999 after a tragic avalanche catastrophe. They have a permanent exhibition about the relationship of humans and nature in the alpine region, as well as a memorial room for victims of the avalanche catastrophe. It generally offers a very diverse program, also convenient for children. Moreover they have a big climbing and bouldering gym inside.
- Mountain biking for beginners and experts: While you find exceptional conditions for skiing in winter, the Silvretta Arena offers a wide range of mountain biking trails in summer. Both beginners and experts get their money’s worth. Beginners can participate in technical training at the Silvretta Bikeacadamy. In Ischgl, there are more than 40 routes for a perfect mountain biking holiday.
- Water fun for the whole family: The water park in See, Paznaun, is highly recommended for everyone who loves water. It is also convenient for families with children. The lake is characterised by its superb water quality. There is a pool with shallow depth for children as well as a beach volley ball court.
- Adventure park „Vider Truja“: Families with children can learn a lot about water in the „Vider Truja“ adventure park, located on Idalpe above Ischgl. A theme path leads up through a high alpine scenery around the lake Vidersee, which is located on an altitude level of 2.300m. Watermills, water playgrounds and a “barefoot path” invite visitors to explore the surroundings. At the end of the day, some of the most beautiful BBQ areas of Ischgl make for a great place to unwind.
Book climbing accommodation directly
aparthotel ADRENALIN **** 2 COMFORT…
Set a 2-minute walk from central Galtür,…
Our *** hotel pension is appropriate…
Welcome at Apart Zimalis in Galtür -…
3 hikes in Paznaun
In Paznaun, you can spend your holiday exclusively hiking: There are several exciting family trails, enjoyable hikes up to mountain pastures and challenging, alpine summit ascents. We selected three highlights for a successful hiking holiday:
- Family hike up to Alpe Dias: The short hike up to Alpe Dias is highly recommended for families with children. Starting in Kappl, the cable car Diasbahn takes you up to the summit station. From there, you can walk past a petting zoo up to Alpe Dias. Once at Alpe Dias, you can find a mountain museum showing the life in the mountains and on Alms.
- Jamtalhütte: Hiking up to the Jamtalhütte hut in Jamtal is a relatively easy hike. It takes 2,5 hours from Galtür to reach the modern hut which is located in the middle of Silvretta on an altitude level of 2.165m. It also is the starting point of many mountain, ski and climbing tours. Tours up to the mountain peaks Fluchthorn, Augstenberg, Jamspitzen and Dreiländerspitze are highly recommended.
- Paznauner Höhenweg: The Paznauer Höhenweg is definitely a must-do for hikers. The trail has nine stages, 11.000 m in altitude and is all together 120km long. Each of the nine stages can also be done separately.
All climbing spots in the region
Weather beauty: 20%
Weather Border: 400m
Weather beauty: 20%
Weather Border: 600m
Weather beauty: 40%
Weather Border: 800m
Weather beauty: 70%
Weather Border: 1000m