Holiday in Tirol’s border triangle
The Tirolean Oberland holiday region is located to the South of Landeck in the direction of Reschenpass. The villages Kaunertal, Kaunerberg, Kauns, Prutz/Faggen, Fendels, Ried, Tösens, Pfunds, Spiss and Nauders are characterised by the scenical diversity of the valley. You can experience fantastic holidays there, both in summer and winter. Its location, close to the Swiss and Italian border, offers a unique atmosphere and invites to discover the neighbouring landscapes, people and cultures.
5 tips for a sportive holiday in the Tirolean Oberland
The Oberland region has a wide range of opportunities for sportive vacationers: from family-friendly theme trails, spectacular single trails to challenging climbing routes and high alpine tours. We present our five highlights:
- Climbing in the border region: There are many possibilities for climbing - also for beginners and families. There are several small climbing gardens with easy climbs and an alpine flair. The type of rock is granite. You can go sport climbing and ice climbing, do multi pitches and via ferratas, visit a forest rope park and four family-friendly climbing gardens. Oberland also offers a lot of potential for experienced climbers. For example, the Laimo climbing garden provides routes from 6b up to 8c. All topos are available online for printing on Climber’s Paradise Tirol!
- Nature trail Gepatschferner: Gepatschferner is the second biggest glacier in Austria. Alongside the glacier, there is a family-friendly theme trail which was established in 2016 and which clearly shows the consequences of climate change. While the glacier started at a bridge 30 years ago, it now starts a 30min walk away. Along the path, you can learn about the glacier, the development of moraines and glacial polish as well as its flora and fauna.
- Radurschlklamm: Hiking through the wild and romantic Radurschlklamm gorge, not far from Pfunds, is highly recommended. Several bridges and one chain bridge take you past roaring waterfalls and overhanging rocks. You can also see multiple local ferns and grasses. At the end of the gorge there is a romantic meadow with seats for a short rest.
- 3-country Enduro trails: The Tirolean Oberland, above all Nauders, offers a wide range of mountain biking routes in all difficulty levels. 11 trails were particularly established for Enduro-bikers – challenging routes are guaranteed.
- Weißseespitze above the West ridge: The hike up to the Weißseespitze mountain peak (3.526 m) is a unique experience, mainly recommended for experienced mountaineers. The high alpine tour leads from the Kaunertal glacial ski area via the West ridge to the peak, Weißseespitze. Surefootedness, a head for heights, plus ice climbing equipment are required. The Alpine Center Dreiländereck offers guided tours.
Book climbing accommodation directly
4 more excursion possibilities in the Tirolean Oberland
- The church tower in Reschensee: The Reschensee lake is located in the neighbouring village, Graun – in Vinschgau, South Tirol. The storage reservoir, which was constructed in 1950, has a church tower standing out of the water as the only remaining part of the flooded village, Graun. During the summer months, the lake is also popular for kite-surfing. The lake can also be surrounded by foot - a worthwhile hike. Last but not least, enjoying a freshly caught fish from the lake is a must-do in every holiday.
- Kaunergrat Nature Park: The large Kaunergrat nature park houses several protected natural and cultural sceneries. It reaches from the Upper Inntal to the Ötztal Alps and is more than 590 square meters. The nature, culture, rare butterflies and many ibexes are definitely worth seeing! The Kaunergrat nature park house shows the „3.000m Vertikal“ exhibition, where you learn a lot about the region. The cafe „Gachenblick“ is a cosy place to stop by.
- Berneck Castle: At the entrance of Kaunertal and at the end of the village, Kaun, there is the Berneck castle. The building was a ruin for a long time until it was rebuilt in its previous form. The castle was documentally mentioned in 1225 and is considered as Tirol’s most beautiful gothic castle. The housing space, the chapel and the cisterns are particularly worth seeing. The castle can be visited during the summer months. There are also guided tours offered.
- Goldwasser adventure world: The Goldwasser water park, next to the Bergkastel panorama restaurant in Nauders, is an adventure for the whole family. An instructive theme trail, a rope garden with slacklines, a mysterious crystal cave, the “Nauderix”-labyrinth and much more guarantee an exciting vacation day for the whole family. You might even find gold nuggets while gold panning...
All climbing spots in the region
Weather beauty: 60%
Weather Border: 3400m
Weather beauty: 50%
Weather Border: 3600m
Weather beauty: 40%
Weather Border: 2500m
Weather beauty: 70%
Weather Border: 3500m