Climbing holiday in the Kaiser Mountains
Sports and relaxation guaranteed
The imposing grey rock faces of the Wilder Kaiser stands up above mellow pastures, pittoresque villages and dense forests. The Kaiser Mountains gave the holiday region in the Tirolean Unterland its name.
While the region is a very popular skiing destination in winter, it also offers a great variety of outdoor activities in summer.
The combination of harsh rocks and idyllic nature turns it into a unique holiday region between St. Johann and Kufstein. The exceptional natural landscapes of the Kaiser Mountains have been under conservation since 1963. Because of that, they have preserved its original character and a rich fauna and flora. The natural reserve spreads out over 102 square kilometres and reaches from an altitude level of 480m up to 2.344 m.
The villages Ellmau, Going, Scheffau und Söll in the Kaiser Region were the first alpine areas to be distinguished by the Austrian Hiking Quality Seal (“Österreichischen Wandergütesiegel”).
For these reasons, it’s obvious why hiking and sports in nature come first in this region. We have selected some great activities for sports enthusiasts who would like to spend their holiday in the Kaiser Mountains:
4 tips for an outdoor holiday in the Kaiser Region
- Climbing with history: The Kaiser Mountains are one of Austria’s most popular climbing destinations. In 1977, international climbing history was written when the route, „Pumprisse“ (7th grade), at Fleischbank-Pfeiler was established. Additionally to alpine classics, many sport climbing routes in all difficulty grades were established. While the Kaiserklettergarten climbing garden is recommended for beginners, Schleierwasserfall provides some of Europe’s most difficult sport climbing routes. This climbing hot-spot is recommended for both beginners and experienced climbers who search an individual challenge on rock. Aside from sport climbing routes, the Kaiser Mountains also offer multi pitches, via ferratas and climbing gyms. The Ellmauer Kaiserklettergarten is very family-friendly.
- “Imperial” hiking routes: The region around the Kaiser Mountains is a paradise for everyone who loves hiking. It’s the first Austrian alpine region which was distinguished by the Austrian Hiking Quality Seal. It offers widely ramified hiking trails for both beginners and experienced mountaineers. To give an example, the circular trail from Going to Schleierwasserfall - a spectacular natural landmark - is highly recommended. Experienced mountaineers can hike up to Ellmauer Halt (2.344 m), the hight point of the Kaiser Mountains. Highly recommended is for sure the “Kaiserkrone” multi-day circular route, which leads around the massif of the Kaiser Mountains in five days.
- Cycling around the Kaiser Mountains: The Kaiser Region offers more than 350 km of cycling and mountain biking tours in all difficulties. It has a lot to offer: from easy routes through the valley to demanding mountain bike trails. Ellmau, Going, Scheffau and Söll are part of the world-wide biggest e-bike region „Kitzbüheler Alpen – Kaisergebirge“ - more than 300 e-bikes can be rented. Charging stations are region-wide available. If you prefer pedalling yourself, you can discover the impressive alpine world of the Kaiser Region by mountain bike. The “Kathenrunde”, starting in Going, is highly recommended due to its beautiful panorama view over the Kitzbühel Alps and its moderate difficulty. Most mountain lifts in the Kaiser Region offer free bike transport.
- Plunging into crystal clear water: Taking a bath is an essential part of a successful summer holiday. The Hintersteinersee lake close to Scheffau is highly recommended. It’s located in the natural reserve Wilder Kaiser. The ragged silhouettes of the Kaiser mountains are reflected in its turquoise, crystal clear water - a view that is not so quickly forgotten. The Ahornsee lake in Söll is visited more frequently. The bathing lake in Going was distinguished as Tirol’s most beautiful natural bathing lake - another cooling water for hot summer days. If the weather is less than ideal, visit the indoor bath “Kaiserbad” in Ellmau.
Book climbing accommodation directly
Scheffau am Wilden Kaiser
The best day trips in the Kaiser Region
Other than sporting activities, the Kaiser Region provides many attractions for a diverse holiday. This is our selected choice:
- Visiting „Bergdoktor“: The TV series „Der Bergdoktor“ was filmed in Ellmau. You can visit the Bergdoktor office in Ellmau and take a look behind the scenes.
- Having fun in Adventure Worlds: Six mountain adventure worlds offer exciting and unique holiday experiences for children in the Kaiser Region. Whether you visit the Hexenwasser (“Witch Water”) in Hochsöll, Ellmi’s Zauberwelt (“Ellmi’s Magical World”) or Alpinolino in Westendorf - all of them offer an interactive experience for children and grown-ups to discover nature in a playful way.
- Moor & More: Moors are one of the most sensitive habitats in the Alps. In Going in the Kaiser Mountains, a hill moor was carefully renaturated. Around this area, several hiking paths were laid out to familiarize visitors with the rare flora and fauna. The hike through the moors is recommended for the whole family.
- Rehbachklamm: The wild and romantic Rehbachklamm, close to Scheffau, is a worth a trip if you have children. The gorge leads via chain bridges past waterfalls to a short, illuminated mining tunnel from the 16th century.
All climbing spots in the region
Weather beauty: 90%
Weather Border: 4000m
Weather beauty: 80%
Weather Border: 4100m
Weather beauty: 80%
Weather Border: 4300m
Weather beauty: 80%
Weather Border: 4500m