Climbing holiday in the Achensee in Tirol region
One lake, five villages
Spending a holiday in the Sport & Vital Park Achensee region is a unique experience: surrounded by the imposing Tirolean mountain world, you still feel like being on a beach holiday. The so-called “Tirolean Sea” is embedded by the massive walls of the Karwendel and Rofan Mountains. It is considered as one of Tirol’s most beautiful and most diverse holiday destinations. Achensee is surrounded by the villages Achenkirch, Maurach and Pertisau. Slightly hidden in the Rofangebirge is Steinberg in Tirol. Wiesing im Inntal is the Southern entrance village to the Achensee holiday region. The region is an eldorado for water sports as well as a hiking paradise for everyone. Both climbers and mountain bikers will get their money’s worth - with routes and trail being offered in all difficulty levels. Here are our recommendations for a holiday in the Sport & Vital Park Achensee region:
Book climbing accommodation directly
Climbing, hiking, biking, watersport - tips for an active holiday at Achensee
- Climbing with views of the lake: The mountains high above the Achensee are widely known in German as the Rofangebirge. It has been established as one of the best climbing crags in Tirol. The area is stunningly beautiful and offers breathtaking impressions far beyond climbing. The area stays cool - even on hot summer days. The type of rock is limestone - similar to what we find in Southern France. The climbing is very diverse: There are both normal sport climbing routes and multi pitches, ranging from the 3rd grade to the 8th (French Scale). Moreover there are via ferratas and boulders. In the past few years, many new certified climbing gardens have been opened, which are also convenient for families with children. The majestic peak of the Karwendel Mountain Range is very popular among climbers and hikers in Tirol. The area around the Lamsenjoch Hut offers many alpine climbing routes on walls up to 400m high. There are also sport climbing routes. Beautiful rocks and an alpine atmosphere let every climber’s heart beat faster.
- Individual bike trail: 250km of road race and mountain biking trail guarantee an exciting holiday in the Achensee region for cyclists. The scenery is very diverse and therefore offers trail of all difficulty levels. You can cycle around the lake or choose an easy ride up to one of the surrounding idyllic alpine huts. There is also the possibility of renting e-bikes at one of the 13 rental companies. Ambitious bikers are encouraged to cycle one out of three stages of the „Bike Trail Tirol“ which leads through the Achensee region. Another recommendation is a stage of the popular Karwendel round trip. If you prefer downhill trails, check out the Tiroler Bikeschaukel trail. You can take the local cable cars to get up in order to save some energy for the downhill.
- Sailing, surfing and swimming amidst the mountains: Achensee is the perfect holiday destination divers and swimmers. The crystal clear lake, as well as the ideal wind conditions, makes a perfect place to go surfing, sailing and kite surfing. Beginners can take courses at one of the local water sport schools. At the Achensee, stand up-paddling (“SUP”) is also highly recommended. Equipment can be rented at the Achensee water sport center. It goes without saying, that you can also enjoy a relaxing day at the beach, swimming and cooling down in the lake. Attention though, the lake normally doesn’t get warmer than 20 degrees!
- Divine hiking experiences: The majestic peaks of the Karwendel mountain range are popular among climbers and hikers in Tirol. The 500km long hiking network is both well established and well marked. Beginners can also take the Rofanseilbahn cable car and the Karwendel-Bergbahn cable car. Another recommendation is the easy hike up to Sonnjoch (2.457m). Those who prefer a more challenging hike can hike up to Seebergspitze (2.085m). From there you have a breathtaking view of the Achensee lake.
4 day-trips for an eventful holiday in the Achensee region
Besides sportive activities, the Sport & Vital Park Achensee holiday region has a lot to offer. We put together a selected choice.
- Achensee Railway: Taking a ride on the Achensee Railway is a must-do in every holiday in the Achensee region! The steam cog railway was commissioned back in 1889 and leads from Jenbach, up the mountain to Achensee. The route is 7km long with a gradient of 160 degrees. It ends at the station Seespitz at Achensee from where a cruising tour can be done.
- Cruising over the lake: Since 1887, Achensee has been conquered by steam boats. The starting point is at the Seespitz station at Achensee - the final stop of the Achensee Railway. The cruising can be combined with a beautiful hike: The Gaisalm is the only Alm (mountain hut) that can be solely reached by foot or ship. This hike is particularly recommended for children.
- Forest high rope garden: The forest high rope garden at Achensee is an adventure for both the old and the young. Here, you will experience nature very closely. Swinging tree trunks, moving bridges and hanging nets are part of the experience. The parcours are from 2m up to 15m high. A fun and spectacular vacation day in nature is guaranteed!
- A special souvenir: Squeezing oil out of stone? The „Black Gold of the Alps“ is a strong smelling, dark oil that is gained out of oil shale that occurs in the Achensee region. For a long time, it has been used as folk medicine. To learn more about the history of this Tirolean rock oil, you can visit “Steinöl Vitalberg”, a museum in Pertisau. They also have very unique holiday souvenirs…
All climbing spots in the region
Weather beauty: 40%
Weather Border: 0m
Weather beauty: 70%
Weather Border: 900m
Weather beauty: 100%
Weather Border: 1000m
Weather beauty: 80%
Weather Border: 700m